One of the best parts about stews is how little effort they require from you, but how amazing and delicious they always turn out! You can throw any vegetable into a pot with some spices, and you will end up with something tasty. My roasted aubergine and tomato stew recipe takes only five minutes to prep and just under an hour to cook, so it's a great dinner option when you're busy and don't have the time to stand and chop for twenty minutes!
The trick to this recipe is to roast the aubergine separately while the stew cooks and add it at the very end for a great texture and taste (Note: aubergine is an eggplant for my North American readers!). Try not to go too heavy-handed on the olive oil with the aubergine since it will just soak it all up and become a little rubbery. One tablespoon is more than enough!
If you're allergic or don't like eggplant, you can always substitute it for zucchini, carrots, or mushrooms. Don't be afraid to toss in more garlic or herbs, either! You always want to have a lot of depth and flavor when making stews.
You don't need to be a pro chef to cook a hearty and filling stew! For the days where you want something warm, comforting, and hassle-free, make this stew! Please take pictures of your results and post them for the rest of our community to see--and don't forget to tag me @jennyleeisme!
ROASTED AUBERGINE AND TOMATO STEW
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium aubergines cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes (330g)
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 14 oz can chick peas drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 handful parsley chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F(200°C).Place the cut aubergine into a baking dish and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and season with salt. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes until soft.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5-6 minutes until soft—then add in the mixed herbs, tomato puree, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the chopped tomatoes,vinegar, chickpeas, and cherry tomatoes. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and continue simmering until the aubergine is ready.
- Once the aubergine is soft, add into the tomato sauce and mix well. Serve with rice and chopped parsley.